I have been trying to write this poem for a long while now, and everytime I have sat down to offload the thoughts and images contained, I have been distracted. I eventually had some quiet time and made the most of it.
Well, here it is.
First Day
Someone once asked me,
if I had a choice,
which one day in history
would make me rejoice?
I answered them honestly,
said "the first day",
before the pollution
and world's disarray.
When the master Creator,
His canvas unfurled,
selected a palette
and painted our world.
When He poured ice blue seas
into oceans of seven,
their colours reflected
in glimpses of heaven.
When the dawn made its debut,
erased the new moon,
the premier sunrise
rose proudly to noon.
When He smudged out the light
with a granite black thumb,
and darkness descended,
the day overcome.
When he tossed maiden stars
to an infinite sky,
each clutching a twinkle,
that first lullaby.
When the first cloud cracked open
the rainfall demure,
and Eden's new spring
blossomed perfect and pure.
How I wish I had been there
and wish I had heard,
the initial recital of
God's first songbird.
With no hesitation
and no need to pause,
I'd stand in His glory
in rapturous applause.
That first ever day
overwhelmed by creation,
would find me on tiptoes
in standing ovation.
Ellen Johns 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment