


On Sunday 21st February (the week-end just gone), my first-born daughter had her 18th birthday. In the U.K., 18 is the coming of age birthday, although I understand it can be 21 in other countries. Nicola was born on her dad's dad's birthday, her ''Poppa's'' and he was 80 on Sunday so they shared a party and a cake.
I can hardly believe I am now the parent of an adult, it's official, ha.
We had extra celebrations, because Nicola was recently accepted into her first choice university, which is Liverpool, where she wants to train and study to be a physiotherapist. There were 1,200 applicants and only 40 places and Nicola secured one of those so we are all really proud of her.
We had a lovely family meal in a local Italian restaurant called ''Mama Rosa's'' on the Friday.
My friend Claire baked and decorated a brilliant cake with ''Meerkats'' as the central theme as Nicola loves these fascinating creatures.
I bought Nic a ''Pandora'' charm bracelet for her gift and other family members bought charms to attach to it.
My other daughter Becky and I, made a ''scrapbook'' of Nicola's life and presented it to her. The first picture in the scrapbook was her first baby scan image at 12 weeks old.I shed many tears whilst trawling through the hundreds of pictures, school certificates and keepsakes of Nicola.
I wonder where all those years have gone to, but they have, and she has lived them as have the rest of us.
She has university place, a boyfriend called Chris who treats her very well, a promising and worthwhile future with a career in physiotherapy,and lots lots more.
The day she was born, my dream for Nicola was that she not only had her dreams but chased them and lived them and she is doing. Good for you Nicola.
Happy 18th ''Nicola''...we all love you very much.
x x x x
No comments:
Post a Comment